today is my 40th birthday. (how the heck am i 40 already?!). through all of the ups and downs, i wouldn't have changed a thing. every joy and sorrow has taught me so much. i feel so very thankful for every person that has come into my life and helped mold me into the person that i am truly happy to be today.
here are 40 things that i have taken away from my life, thus far.
1. life is short. too short. appreciate it.
2. peanut butter and chocolate is a perfect duo.
3. show grace.
4. it's just as important to take time for yourself as it is to be there for everyone else. (remember: put the oxygen mask on yourself before helping others.)
5. be kind.....and when it's hardest to be kind....well, that is when it is most important.
6. change is the only constant in life.
7. there is only one person that you spend your whole life with, and that is yourself. learn to really love yourself.
8. don't drive around looking for a good parking spot. just park in the back and walk.
9. be humble.
10. life is so very subjective.
11. forgive. forgiveness truly is a gift that you give yourself.
12. happiness is not permanent. neither is unhappiness. so cherish the good times, and remember the bad times will pass.....as nemo says, "just keep swimming".
13. learn how to see yourself in someone else's shoes. compassion and understanding are learned behaviors. practice.
14. talk less, listen more.
15. diamonds are most certainly not a girl's best friend.
16. "people won't remember exactly what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel."
17. the answer said with love in it is always the right one.
18. storms don't last forever.
19. christmas music played year-round makes me happier than just about anything.
20. everything seems so much clearer when you look back on it all. hindsight really is 20/20.
21. there is no such thing as being perfect. embrace the perfectly imperfect. "be yourself; everyone else is taken."
22. you are stronger and more capable of things then you think. take a chance. do something that scares you. you may be surprised at the outcome.
23. tell the truth. always.
24. trust your gut. stay true to yourself. people almost always show you who they really are....you just have to be the one to accept it as truth.
25. the laundry will never be 100% done.....unless you are doing laundry naked.
26. to be happy in a relationship, you have to be happy with yourself first.
27. life really is like a choose your own adventure book. make the best choices you know how to....who knows how long the book will be, the adventures you will have or how it will end.....but, the choices? they are all yours to make.
28. karma is real.
29. never miss an opportunity to build someone up.....it may stay with them their entire life. never take the opportunity to tear someone down.....it may stay with them their entire life.
30. 40 is much, much younger then i once thought it was.
31. relationships are important and the really great ones take work.
32. even if you’ve fought to hold onto something......sometimes it’s just time to let it go.
34. learn to accept a complement. it's important. (i'm still really trying to work on this).
35. people are usually not the same at 18 as they are as an adult. go to your high school reunion with an open mind. you may be surprised.
36. be real. the more honest and open you are with the realities of your life, the more honest and open people will be with you.
37. most people deserve a second chance.
38. you have to let go of the bad, in order to make room for the good.
39. as elsa says..."let it go".....tomorrow truly is another day.....
40. your yesses and your nos, verbal or otherwise, teach people how to treat you.
40 years have been pretty darn good....but i can't wait to see what the next 40 hold. i'm thinking the best really is yet to come.
Post a Comment